Google Review

Compensation through Civil Law

Word cloud for Civil procedureA civil lawsuit is filed when a victim or someone harmed emotionally or physically is seeking to be compensated for their pain and suffering. It can also include any damages to their property by the person accused. The accused can be made by the courts to pay back any damages sustained and for compensating the victim for physical or emotional harm.

Compensation Components

Civil laws are set in place for the resident citizens of that area. These laws are upheld to keep personal property sound and wrongdoing at bay. There are a few components when it comes to a civil lawsuit and what compensation can be provided to the victim.

  • Expenses relating to the damages or injuries
  • Medical Bills and future doctor visits
  • Fees from attorneys
  • Physical suffering and pain
  • Mental or emotional suffering and pain

Can You File?

Everyone has a right to file any type of civil lawsuit as long as they have reasonable cause. It can be defamation of character if the filed lawsuit was falsely reported and that person suffered wrongdoing verbally or written from media stands or other citizens. Civil lawsuits are not tried in criminal courts. Civil court rooms are set up to handle offenses that were not considered criminal such as a personal injury as a result of a car accident.

There are several reasons why a person might file a civil lawsuit against an accused:

  • Damaged to property that requires replacement or repairing
  • Seeking compensation for emotional or physical pain and suffering
  • Seeking compensation for emotional or physical pain caused by a business
  • Injury caused by another individual that caused you pain and suffering or an increase in medical bills and other expenses

In the event that you have been personally or emotionally harmed, you have the right to file a civil lawsuit against the person you think is responsible for that harm. This does not always mean that the courts will side in your favor. If there is a lack of proof against the accused, the case may be thrown out or dismissed. If you believe that you have a case, you can consult a professional to evaluate your case standings. They can also help in the filing process and assist you in what steps to take next. The professional, if hired, will continue to help you through the court proceedings and ensure that your case is not thrown out on a technicality.

Search Widerman Malek


  • Blog (46)
  • Business (16)
  • Careers at WM (1)
  • Event (4)
  • Local Stories (46)
  • Press Release (2)
  • Real Estate Investors (13)
  • Resources (10)
  • Small Business Law (2)
  • Uncategorized (36)
  • Video (2)