Google Review

What to Know Before Buying a Drone as a Christmas Gift

boy with droneDrones will be showing up under Christmas trees this year to the delight of many. Before taking the drone outside, you should know that the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) considers these gift aircraft under their jurisdiction. Don’t worry, this doesn’t mean that you need a pilot’s license, at least not if you are only using it for recreational purposes. If you are using it for business purposes, you do need a remote pilot in command license. In either case, you do need to register your drone with the FAA. It is a simple process that can be completed online. Just click here and follow the prompts.

If you have more questions about drone law, the attorneys in Widerman Malek’s unmanned systems department are happy to help. Kelly G. Swartz, Esq., the director of the department, can be reached at or (321)255-2332.

Search Widerman Malek


  • Blog (30)
  • Business (3)
  • Careers at WM (7)
  • Event (4)
  • Local Stories (46)
  • Press Release (2)
  • Real Estate Investors (12)
  • Resources (10)
  • Small Business Law (2)
  • Uncategorized (36)
  • Video (2)